No results found :(
How to create a 301 redirect from Magento Admin Panel
- From Magento Admin panel to Catalog→URL Rewrite Management
- In the top right corner click "Add URL Rewrite"
- From the dropdown menu choose Custom
- Fill in Store/ID Path/Request Path/Target Path/Redirect
- Click Save button
There’s a number of reasons why it’s really useful to know how to rewrite URLs on your own.
You might need it in case you decide to move your website entirely to another platform, for example, or decide to stop offering products from a certain category.
It may happen that you wish to change your URL because you need to make it more accurate, descriptive, or you have simply misspelled a word or two.
The process is rather simple and we hope this tutorial will help you manage your URLs for whatever reason.
Let’s start by logging in and navigating to Catalog and choosing URL Rewrite Management menu item. (see the screenshot below)
A new screen will give you an insight into all of the previously created redirects.
Remember, what you essentially want to achieve is to ensure that even if your page is temporarily or even permanently moved, your visitors/customers can still see its content.
Oh, and not to mention the search engines!
You certainly don’t want to miss out on updating the almighty Google about the changes you have made!
Also, if you are here, you are running or administrating a Magento store.
Meaning – you have to ensure you won’t be losing a single customer (or a penny for that matter) due to changes you’re making.
All you need to do to start is to locate the orange Add URL Rewrite button in the upper-right part of the page and click on it.
Now, choose whether you want to create a rewrite for the category, product, or simply create a custom one.
We chose custom from the dropdown menu, and a new screen gave us an option to start entering:
- Type – note that once you have chosen, for example, Custom, from the dropdown menu, you cannot change it.
- Store – in case you run multiple stores choose where your changes will be applied.
- ID Path – is the name of your rewrite, used for administrator purposes only. We named it 301 Sample Redirect.
- Request path – is what we are actually rewriting. Here you should enter your old URL.
- Targeted path – is the actual URL that will guide you to a particular page – it is where your new URL should be.
- Redirect – at this point you should choose whether the redirect that you have created will be permanent or just temporary.
- Description – simply enter the description for your brand new URL rewrite.
And you’re done!
Now, locate the orange Save button in the top right corner of the page and save your changes.
You should note that your old path will not be deleted, it will simply be changed to correspond to the new URL rewrite.
Now, you can be peaceful knowing that your customers will never miss out on your amazing products and deals simply because you had to change a couple of things!
404 and Page not found will never again be the reason why your customers cannot reach you!