No results found :(
How to create a new category in Magento
- From Magento Admin panel to Catalog→Manage Categories
- Select "Root" category
- In the top right corner click "Add Subcategory"
- Fill in: General Information/Display Settings/Custom Design/Category Products
- Click "Save Category" button
We know that Magento relies on categories to hold your products together and in order.
For start, let’s access all of our existing categories, and see what it takes to add a completely new one.
From your Admin Panel, navigate to Catalog and then choose Manage Categories.
Once you’re in your Category Manager, you will see a complete list of all your categories on the left hand side.
Magento allows you to have as many levels (and sublevels) of categories as you wish.
Every store has its ROOT category that will not show in your store’s navigation. It will only serve as a sort of a placeholder for all of your categories.
That is the first level of categories and it will not be visible on your store’s front end.
It is for that reason that, if we want to create new category for our products, what we actually need to create is a subcategory for ROOT category.
You need to notice two orange buttons Add Root Category and Add Subcategory.
You can now proceed to add new category by clicking on Root Catalog and than clicking on Add Subcategory.
Take a closer look at the screenshot for better understanding.
The correct order of your steps should be:
Now, you need to fill in all the necessary information about your new category.
Setting up everything is easy, but have in mind a couple of facts:
- Name of your category – the name you assign to your category will be shown in your store’s breadcrumbs (breadcrumb is a set of links that will show you where you are at that particular point in relation to other pages) as well as in your store’s navigation and your category page heading. Its visibility should warn you to be careful when setting up your category’s name.
- Description of your category – it will be shown on the category page, under category name.
- Image – will be shown on your category page. You can add an image by clicking Choose file. Once you have clicked on it, you will get to browse your computer for files and find an adequate one. Choose an image by clicking on it, and then click Open.
- Meta Keywords and Meta Description – it is advised to leave Meta keywords field blank for better SEO. Meta Description on the other hand is what is shown below search engine results. It is a good practice to include your category name in this description.
- Is Active – obligatory field. You have to mark whether your category will be active or not. Since we are adding new category, we obviously want it to be visible so we marked Yes.
Note: Categories that you have disabled will appear grayed out.
Include in Navigation Menu – it will determine whether or not your category will be visible in the main menu.
You should click to open dropdown menu and choose Yes.
Take a look at the screenshot below:
Display Settings tab will let you determine which elements of the content will appear on your category page, and also what the order of products will be.
Next, you want to properly position your category on your store’s front end, so scroll to the top of the page and take a look at the tab named Custom Design.
In order to determine the layout for your new category you should click to open dropdown menu and choose the setting you prefer. (see the screenshot below)
Now your category has everything – general information, image, meta description, URL and a proper layout.
Note that the categories you create are visible on your store’s frontend immediately.
If you’re happy with how everything appears and operates, simply save all of your work by clicking the famous orange button in the upper right part of the screen that says Save Category.